| Marathon runner |
As any marathon runner will tell you, the hardest part is the final mile. I am not an avid runner, however, I do recall having to run a mile for gym class my freshman year. Not used to running, I was painstakingly slow. The worst part of that mile mentally and physically was the final quarter mile around the track. The finish line was teasing me, always just out of reach. This is how the six men aboard the Caird felt about the last part of their journey to South Georgia. They had made it so far and come so close, only to have so many obstacles blocking their path. The horrible state of the supplies especiall the water, along with the men's overall poor heath meant they needed to land quickly. None of them wanted to imagine the unthinkable, that they had overshot and missed the island completely.
Even the sighting of land did not bring complete relief, as there were still obstacles to overcome. The uncharted reefs made landing on the island next to impossible.
"The whole complexion of things suddenly changed. There could be no thought of landing, not here at least, for the boat would not have lived ten seconds in those breakers. It was something they didn't deserve- a needless cruelty. The land lay just in front of them, and they had earned it."
![]() |
| South Georgia |

Even though I did not read this book, I like that you described the chapter as a marathon. However, in my experience running a half-marathon, it was all the miles after the fifth that were tough! Haha, but when I was running the last mile, every twist and turn I thought would be the end. I'm glad I kept pushing myself though, because when I crossed the finish line I cried! (and Im not big on crying). Anyway, congratulations and keep up the good work!
ReplyDelete